Thursday, March 20, 2008

10 Weird Things About Me

I have been tagged by Michelle to post 10 weird things about me. Hmm. If I was tagged 20 - 25 years ago, this would be a much more interesting post. I'm just not too weird right now. I don't think. Let's see what I can come up with.

1. I am mildly obsessive/compulsive. Well, that is what everyone else would say. I just like things the way I like them and that's that. No one will touch the dishwasher for fear that they will put something in the wrong place. I'm really not as uptight about this as "they" would have you believe, but I do think that it should be orderly.

2. I am flat-footed. It is a result of having a twisted pelvis. Everything from there down is twisted a little which results in flat feet. I went to a podiatrist to see about having bunions removed and he said don't bother. Because of the way I am built, they would just come right back.

3. Since I read Michelle's list, I wonder if I have "social phobia". She described how it is for her and it is a lot like what I experience with the exception that I'm not particularly shy and find that in my nervousness I talk too much. It's like, help, I'm talking and I can't shut up!!

4. While not shy, I am very quiet by nature. If the situation is comfortable for me, I am perfectly content to say nothing. I like the quiet.

5. I am also very solitary. I require solitude to be mentally healthy. I just don't like a lot of people around all the time.

6. I have Meniere's Disease. The disease manifests itself with dizziness, vertigo with associated nausea and vomiting, hearing loss, over-sensitivity to sound, tinnitus (both ringing and rushing), and a feeling of fullness in the affected ear. I try to control it with a number of vitamins and nutritional supplements. It's working pretty well.

7. I have had the same best friend for 33 years. I don't know if that is weird, but it is unusual.

8. I have a flat place on my nose. I can't tell you how many people have asked me over the years how I broke it. I didn't. I just have a wide bridge.

9. I grind my teeth in my sleep.

10. I asked my husband for help with this list and he could only come up with one thing. Is it weird that my husband doesn't think I'm very weird?

Whew. That was a struggle. I won't tag anyone specifically, but I will invite anyone who wishes to play along. Let's all be weird together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the weird! :)

Here's a description of social phobia in case you are interested:
http://www.socialphobia.org/whatis.html#whatis1

As I read this, it resonated with me very strongly. Take the woman in the grocery store for example. When I'm grocery shopping, if I change directions, can't find what I want, or go past the same area more than once, I am convinced that everyone around is wondering what on earth I am doing. I have to keep reminding myself that I am not even passing the same people, so even if they were watching, they wouldn't see that I went this way before. (I also think people are watching me and thinking badly of me if I scan the headlines of the tabloids in the checkout lane.)

I don't do the "weak voice" thing, though. By default I wear a big small and speak cheerfully, so that people will think I am friendly. Sometimes I even find myself cheerfully explaining to perfect strangers that I have social phobia, so they will understand that I am a very nice, friendly person, and if I don't seem that way it's only because I am mentally ill. LOL.

Jubilee on Earth said...

These were fun!! We actually have a lot in common. I, too, require solitude for mental health. And I'm a bit OCD. I enjoyed reading this list. Also, GORGEOUS pic below!!! Lucky you to have spring down there already. It snowed 6" here in Michigan last night. (Seriously...)

Buck said...

Enough, enough! I give up! You win the weird award for today! I tried to tell you at the start, but I couldn't get a word in edgewise. :-) Don't be nervous now. It will be alright. I know the burden of such an honor is almost to much to handle. Just remember "You want to feed all the hungry in the world, and, and, and you want whirrled peas"

Buck :-)

Now, ware's spaell check on thiss thing???? Hmmmmm!

Leslie Maddox said...

It was nice meeting you tonight!