Thursday, September 13, 2007

"Zucchini" Muffins

I put zucchini in quotes because that is what the base recipe is, but we don't want to be limited by labels! Throw in a carrot, a yellow squash, an apple, or sweet potato even. Have fun! Live dangerously! Eat your veggies without even knowing it!

This recipe is one of the staples of my daughters diet. We try to always have some on hand. This is one of her only sources of vegetables. They freeze well, so make a big batch and you won't have to bake so often.

I use a few ingredients that you may not be familiar with.


I want my muffins to be as healthy as possible. I use a traditional whole wheat flour as well as white whole wheat flour. The white wheat flour is milled from a white wheat rather than the traditional red wheat. It has a lighter color and texture than the other whole wheat. You could probably use all whole wheat if you wanted, but it would be a heavier muffin.

I also use coconut oil. It is much better for you, but it is more expensive. We don't use a lot of oil, so I make the sacrifice and go for the good stuff.

I make sure I use a baking powder that is aluminum free.

I have also started using milled flax seed. It is just sitting there on the shelf in the grocery store with your flours. It's not very expensive and adds protein, fiber, and omega-3. I throw in a couple of tablespoons in most of my baking.

Let's begin, shall we?



This is what I had on hand today. I saved the apple and just made squash/zucchini/carrot muffins today.

Most people would be perfectly happy with their veggies shredded thus:


If that is you and yours, more power to you. I personally like a little something to excite my mouth when I eat. The daughter who eats these muffins to stay alive does not agree. I transfer the veggies chopped so nicely in the food processor to the blender where they then turn into this:


It's not nearly as colorful or as inviting, but it gets the job done. It disappears into the batter and the muffins actually get eaten.

Here is the recipe.


"Zucchini" Muffins

1 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 cups grated, raw zucchini (or mixture of veggies)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup raisins

Blend the oil and the sugars. Add eggs and zucchini and mix well. Sift together dry ingredients and then mix with the wet mixture. If you puree your veggies, your mixture will look something like this:



And it will smell really good. Mmmm. I love cinnamon.

I, of course, never add the nuts or raisins. If you do, your batter will be lumpier.

Also, as a side note, I usually put in more veggies than the recipe calls for. Today I used only 2 1/2 cups, but I have used as much as 4 cups and gotten the same result. I say go for it. The more veggies, the better. Oh, and I cut the sugar to about 2/3 cup each. They are still sweet enough.

Bake in a 350 degree oven.

I always make muffins. Usually mini muffins. Muffins take between 16 and 20 minutes to cook, depending on the size muffin you make and your oven. You can also make it into a loaf, but it will take about an hour to cook.

And, there you have it, healthy muffins for a fussy eater.


Having said all that I will add that if you want to use all the recommended sugar and add a nice cream cheese frosting, this makes a tasty sweet snack.

Enjoy!

No comments: