Saturday, December 8, 2007

Getting Back to Normal

I did something today that I haven't done in a long time. I sat outside with the girls. My poor chickens have been sorely neglected during these last busy weeks. Since it was such a lovely spring fall December day, I spent some time just sitting out in the back yard.

I let them run around and hunt for bugs while I just enjoyed being outside. It was nice to just be outside. Well, I've been outside lately, but in a wrought iron, concrete driveway, cars going too fast down the street kind of way. It was nice to be outside in the backyard with the chickens and the leaves and the quiet and my chair.

They had such a good time, too. The poor dears have been going through their first molt. They are shaggy looking things right now. Poor Muffin has two pathetic little tail feathers sticking up. They seem to have come through it and are laying again, so hopefully they will start growing some new feathers soon. They were scratching in all the leaves and looking for bugs. I have to smile whenever I see "vegetarian fed" on the eggs in the grocery store. My chickens are not vegetarians. That is not their natural diet. They eat bugs, worms, caterpillars, and frogs. I have even seen Muffin down a small snake.

In any case, it was nice to get back to doing the "real" stuff. I'm starting to feel a little more like myself and less like the crazy working woman that I have been of late. I'm really a home body. It was good to be home.

No comments: