Friday, December 28, 2007

I Am a Domestic Goddess

I came out of my cave for awhile today. I went to the grocery store and bought some normal things. (i.e. not butter, sugar, and cream). I then came home and spent the day in the kitchen. I made lots of things to freeze and eat later. Nothing made with butter, sugar, or cream. I'm so ready for some normal food.

One of the things I made was my favorite soup. It is a recipe I got from my sweet friend, CCCW. It is adapted from a recipe from The Mansion on Turtle Creek. It is yummy, freezes well, and makes a lovely dinner and on a chilly night. I like it with a green salad and cornbread muffins. Mmmm.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 T corn oil
4 corn tortilla - cut into small squares
6 garlic cloves – finely chopped
1 T chopped, fresh cilantro
1 C fresh finely chopped fresh onion
1-15 oz. tomato sauce
1 T cumin powder
2 t chili powder
2 bay leaves
2 qts. Chicken stock
Either 2 chicken breasts cooked and cubed or the meat from a whole, cooked chicken cut into pieces
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste

Optional: cubed avocado, shredded or cubed cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese

Heat oil in large saucepan. Sauté tortilla with garlic, cilantro, and onion. Add tomato puree and bring to a boil. Add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, chicken, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring frequently.

Garnish with avocado, cheese, and tortilla chips. Serves 8-10.

Enjoy!

No comments: