Sunday, March 9, 2008

Socialization

I've been thinking about posting about homeschooling lately. I haven't mentioned it much here, but it is a huge part of our lives. We are members of a large homeschool group and most of our friends are homeschoolers, so I don't think of it as being as irregular as it probably is to most people.

I will start with something funny I ran across today. One of the big "arguments" about homeschooling is the supposed socialization issues. I thought this family's answers to the question was awesome.


"When my wife and I mention we are strongly considering homeschooling our children, we are without fail asked, "But what about socialization?" Fortunately, we found a way our kids can receive the same socialization that government schools provide.


On Mondays and Wednesdays, I will personally corner my son in the bathroom, give him a wedgie, and take his lunch money.


On Tuesdays and Thursdays, my wife will make sure to tease our children for not being in the "in" crowd, taking special care to poke fun of any physical abnormalities.


Fridays will be "Fad and Peer Pressure Day." We will all compete to see who has the coolest toys, most expensive clothes and the loudest, fastest, and most dangerous car.


Every day, my wife and I will adhere to a routine of cursing and swearing in the hall and mentioning our weekend exploits with alcohol and immorality. If our kids attempt to use the bathroom without permission, we will punish them immediately.


And we have asked them to report us to the authorities in the event we mention faith, religion or try to bring up morals and values."


More to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, that's great, Julie. :D

Have you been following the news on that judge in CA outlawing homeschooling by parents without teaching certificates?

http://www.mommylife.net/archives/2008/03/california_judg.html

Jubilee on Earth said...

LOL!! My sentiments exactly. We don't have kids, but if by chance some day God decides to bless us with some, I'll be homeschooling them. So I really enjoy reading your posts.

~Maria