Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy New Year

I have been in a cloud since before Christmas. I think I am ready for my New Year to start.

I also think my time in the kitchen is done. Well, the church kitchen. To say I am glad it is over is an understatement. While I did enjoy it, there just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything both here and there. I did learn a few things though.

  • Cooking for 80 people at a time is not really as bad as it sounds. It's not that much different than cooking for just a few. Sometimes it is even easier. However, cleaning up after 80 people is every bit as daunting as it sounds. Even with awesome commercial kitchen equipment, there are still dishes and pots and pans and they still need to be washed.
  • I do not want to own a restaurant. I used to think it would be so much fun. I love to cook for people. I love to have people over and visit. How much fun would it be to just do that for a living? Well, it would only be fun if it was all I wanted to do. I think I can cross that off my "wouldn't it be fun" list.
  • Bad habits are easy to acquire, especially when you are overworked and overtired. I can't tell you how many sodas I had while I was working there. I can't tell you how many milk jugs that I would have recycled if I had been home that I just threw out because that is just how they do things there. I can't tell you, well, you get the idea. Easy is just so . . . easy.
  • I really like being at home. OK, I knew that. But every once in awhile it is nice to be reminded that you are where you are supposed to be. And I am.
Hopefully, things should start returning to normal around here soon. Whatever normal is. The biggest "hopefully" is that our house will sell quickly. It officially goes on the market tomorrow. Our neighborhood is not always in step with the rest of the city/world. Prices and sales have continued to remain strong with only the slightest dip. So far.

Bottom line, if God wants us to move He will provide a buyer. If He does, I hope it's soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep-you've been busy busy!! I know how you feel-when you feel like your "home" has suffered in your absence. I'm hoping your house sells fast too!

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Wow! You really have been swamped!

What is it about food service that makes us develop poor eating habits? I remember eating pure junk when I waitressed. JUNK! I looked terrific and was in very good shape thanks to hauling heavy trays to and fro but I dare not think what I did to my arteries! I'd get off late from work and go eat in places like Waffle House.

Blessings to you and thank you for the prayers and support. Things have not been easy. I finally feel as though I can post again without feeling false. You know?

I would sit down and stare at the screen -- blankly -- before just giving up and walking away. Posting felt so good last night -- therapeutic.

Blessings,
Lacy