Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering

Today, with many others, I am remembering.

I remember feeling vulnerable in a way that I had never felt. Like a collective vulnerability. I am also thinking of those who feel that way every day.

I am remembering those who lost loved ones that day and continue to feel that loss every day.

I live near downtown and for a long time I could actually visualize planes crashing into our buildings every time I looked a them. But time has softened that fear. Too much, I think.

I’m glad for the opportunity to feel that way again. It makes the peace that occupies most of my days that much sweeter.

I am also remembering that then as now, God is in control. He is on His throne and He is here with me.

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
Psalm 46:1-3


2 comments:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Collective vulnerability. Absolutely.

Beautiful reflection, Julie.

Anonymous said...

When I heard about the first plane (I was working at a job in Houston early in the morning) I thought of the B-25 that had been flown by an inexperienced pilot into the Empire State Building in 1945. Not unprecedented, I thought.

The report of the second plane was utterly astonishing. I told the folks in the office what was happening and we watched in disbelief as the morning's events unfolded.
Then I went home to Huntsville, got the kids out of school and we prayed as a family together.