Monday, September 21, 2009

This Year's Plan

We are a house divided.

No, not like that, silly. : )

We are doing things a little differently education-wise this year. After homeschooling both our children for the last 4 years, we have one in school and one at home this year. And it is going well.

My son is now attending a very small. (very. small.) private school. He is one of 7 students in his whole grade. They had an open house last week and by all accounts, he is settling in nicely.

He is one who does well with structure. I, um, well, not so much.

Don't get me wrong. I can do structure...if someone else is doing the structuring. I love deadlines and lists. But in my daily life, I like to do what I like to do when I like to do it. I have enough of the artist in me that I like to work with the muse. The girl is more like me in that respect. We manage to accomplish our lists as we float along the day.

My boy does better with a set and predictable schedule. He has gone to school before and seems glad to be back. I'm getting used to being available to pick him up at 3:00 every day.

Perhaps the best part of our new arrangement is that the girl and I are really getting into things in a way that we haven't before. My kids are 5 years apart. We had a difficult time finding things to do together. There is a solar system taking shape in my kitchen that would have been a battle of the wills before.

So this is our current arrangement. We have always said that we would take this schooling thing on year at a time. This is what we are doing this year. And so far, I like it.

1 comment:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

I'm glad to see that new arrangements are working well for you guys! I think it is so awesome that you have stayed so open to God's direction on what to pursue for each of your children, year by year. Fantastic! I've been enjoying a lot of one-on-one time with my little AJ now that she doesn't have "pester Dacey" as her number one goal of the moment all day long.