Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Time of Reading

I like to read. OK, I love to read. But I don't do it all the time. I am an episodic reader. I go through these spurts when I read a lot of books. Then I won't read anything but magazines and blogs for the longest time and then, back to reading books. I can't explain it. It's just a pattern I've noticed.

Right now I'm in one of my Times of Reading. I have read 3 books since the new year turned and am on my 4th. Of course, that means my knitting is suffering, but I'm really enjoying it. Here's what I've read so far.

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

I loved this book. It was written from the perspective a 14-year-old Will Tweedy. That's what everyone called him, too. Will Tweedy. Even his grandpa called him Will Tweedy. It's set in rural Georgia around the turn of the century. The dialogue is all written in the vernacular of the area which really messed with my head, but was endearing just the same. Being the good Southern girl that I am, I enjoyed peeking in the windows of people who very easily could have been members of my family just a couple of generations ago. I highly recommend this book.


Back home Again by Melody Carlson

This is the first book in a series called Tales From Grace Chapel Inn. It's a sweet book and a quick read. It's about 3 sisters who have grown up very differently who are drawn back together by the death of their father and their subsequent inheritance of his aging Victorian home. I enjoyed it because it touched on dreams of my own.


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and AnnieBarrows

Again, I loved this book. It's historical fiction. I love historical fiction. It is set in the days after World War II. It's a novel, but it's written as letters between all the characters of the book. And what characters they are. They are the heart of this book and what make it so hard to put down. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

What I'm reading now, you can't read for another week. I'm special. I won an advanced copy of Keeping the Feast by Paula Butturini. (Thanks, Susan!!) Look, it's so cool.


I don't know if you can see across the top of the cover, but it reads "Uncorrected Proof for Limited Distribution." How cool is that?

I've only just cracked the cover, but I'm already enjoying it. There are a lot of food references in it, so you know I'm going to enjoy that.

I'm looking for other good books to read before this passes. Any recommendations?

1 comment:

Karen G said...

I also loved the Potato Peel Pie Literary Society book. Mom got it for me for Christmas. Soooo very good! Thanks for the recs. I'll share if I think of anything.