Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesdays' Tip - Salt

What's in your salt? No, seriously, have you ever looked? If you are using America's favorite Morton's, you are getting sugar. That's right, sugar in your salt. Salt, calcium silicate, dextrose, and potassium iodine to be exact. The calcium silicate is a "free-flowing agent".

If this gets under your skin like it did mine, you may want to consider switching to either sea salt or kosher salt. They are purer salts.

Kosher salt itself is not necessarily kosher. It is used in the curing process of kosher meats. It has mild flavor. It's flaky and adheres well to the rims of margarita glasses as well as fish. It doesn't contain the additives regular table salt has.

Sea salt is typically made from evaporated seawater. It too is free from additives.

Of course, I'm sure we all should cut down on our salt intake, but we don't need to be taking in more than we bargained for. Go for the simpler alternatives.

7 comments:

Mrs. Blue J said...

I love sea salt, and now can taste the difference. What a great little post! I'm going to link to this in my new blog, if I may. Stay tuned! I think you of all people should like it.

Hugs and blessings to you. Anything new out your way? Any closer to getting out in the country? We have tried 3,682 ways and every one of them fizzled out. The Good LORD is up there looking down at us, shaking His head. I'm sure He is saying, "Would you just cool it, you two???? Trust me!!"

Kimberly said...

We made the switch to Kosher salt last year and really like it.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I do need to look for some Sea salt and Kosher salt. Heard so much about them.

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

I love that you posted this! It's so true!

Having recently watched Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution (which had me in tears)... I am even more delighted to see posts like this spreading the word about making healthier choices.

Thank you!

Blessings,
Lacy

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

I use sea salt all the time while cooking, but sadly it is not the same while baking!

Membership Required said...

Hi Julie. I too love sea salt.
Wanted to share my new business site with you. Please stop by and pass it along to your friends. I would love your referrals. I would really LOVE it if you'd consider hosting an event. Let me know.
http://www.myinitials-inc.com/merrylynn

Diana Ferguson said...

Glad you found Texas-Blogging Gals. Will get you on the next updated list.

Come see me soon at my personal blog.