Monday, October 1, 2007

Mediterranean Stew

October is here. And while the thermometer still reads 90 degrees, I'll take any excuse to make a good pot of soup. I love soup. This one is especially good and just a little different from what you might usually cook - from scratch or a can. It is based on a recipe I found called Mediterranean Stew. I'm not really sure what makes it Mediterranean other than perhaps the spices, but that is as good a name as any. Here we go.



Here is the basics for what you will need. Yes, you do see some veggies along side some raisins, all positioned artfully in front of my slow cooker. No one should be without a slow cooker really. When I was a working woman, there was nothing nicer than coming home to a home cooked meal after a hard day. Now that I am a mom, it is really nice to do a little something in the morning and not have to worry about dinner again until it is time to eat it. I don't use it nearly as often as I should. But today, I'm using it!

Here is the basic recipe:


Mediterranean Stew

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 cup cubed potatoes
2 cups cubed zucchini
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup chopped onion
1 ripe tomato, chopped
1 or 2 carrots, thinly sliced
32 oz. chicken broth (I like low-sodium)
1/3 cup raisins
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed

Throw all of this into a slow cooker. Give it a good stir to make sure the tomato paste is mixed well. Set on low for 8-10 hours.


When you get it all in the pot, it should look something like this:




Now the best part about any soup is that you can do whatever you want and it really doesn't make much difference. I add chicken because if I served a meal without meat in it, my men would spontaneously combust. I'm also not a big fan of eggplant or okra, but if you are, throw some of than in there, too.

I have also put this on high and cooked it in about 4 - 5 hours. It works in a pinch.

Now, let's eat.



Now doesn't that just look like autumn in a bowl. Oh, wait. I forgot something.



You must have a piece of whole grain bread with it for dipping. This soup has a really rich broth. You know you want to dip. Go ahead and enjoy. Mmm.

1 comment:

Rising Rainbow said...

I love dipping bread in soup. Wouldn't ever consider eating it without it.