Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ron Stone's Chicken Noodle Soup

I admit it. I am a bit of a food snob. Normally, if I was cooking something for someone would I would jump through flaming hoops before I would serve something made with condensed soup. I'm sorry. It's one of the ways my pride gets me.

But...

My dad had the flu this week. One of his comfort foods is this soup that his mother used to make him. It is credited to a former Houston newscaster who is a legend in his own right. The recipe is not as easy to come by as I thought it was and, although I hate to admit it, it is really good. No, really. It is really good. I couldn't quit "tasting" it to make sure it was OK. I am freezing it in smaller containers, so he can have it any time he needs a little comfort.

So, in case anyone out there needs to find this soup recipe, I thought I would make it a little easier for them to find. And if you want to make it, you won't be disappointed. But don't tell anyone where you got the recipe. : )


Ron Stone's Chicken Noodle Soup

1¼ hours | 30 min prep

3 lbs bone-in chicken breasts (skin on or off - your preference)

1 stalk celery, leaves attached,cut in chunks

1 carrot, cut in chunks

1 onion, quartered

1 tablespoon seasoning salt

10-12 whole black peppercorns

2 chicken bouillon cubes

4 cans cream of chicken soup

1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles

1 tablespoon minced onions

dried parsley, to taste

additional seasoning salt, to taste

black pepper, to taste

red pepper flakes, just a pinch,to taste

Simmer chicken, celery, carrot, onion, peppercorns and 1 T. seasoned salt in large dutch oven, in about 4 quarts of water until chicken begins to fall apart.

Remove chicken from pot; let cool.

DO NOT DISCARD BROTH.

Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard; shred meat into bite-sized pieces.

Set aside.

Strain the veggies from the broth, pressing as much of the liquid from them as possible, through the strainer, back into the pot.

Bring broth to a boil.

Cook noodles in boiling broth for 6 minutes.

Lower heat, and add bouillon cubes, stirring to mix well.

Add undiluted chicken soup, stirring gently to dissolve lumps, but try not to break noodles too much.

Add the shredded chicken, minced onion, and remaining seasonings to taste.

5 comments:

Jubilee on Earth said...

Oh, wow. Being sick this weekend, I am LOVING the sounds of this recipe. I wish I had the energy to make it. I'm going to print it out and save it for one of those weekends that are cold and snowy, and I feel good (which I'm sure will be next weekend, or the one after -- the snow isn't done yet!!)

~Maria

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I just started using Twitter (twitter.com), and I am trying to find out if any of my friends are on there, too. Do you Twitter? If so, what's your username?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Buck said...

The recipe sounds great-thanks
Add Ron to your prayer list. It is my understanding he is not in good health
sally

Sylviaelmer said...

Praying for you Ron. Jesus I'm 🙏 for Ron that you would heal him. In Jeaus Amen