Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesday's Tip

I have been telling you about some of the supplements I take. And today's supplement is: Vitamin C.

The RDA, recommended daily allowance, of Vitamin C is only between 75 and 90 mg. That might keep you from getting scurvy, but it's not going to do anything to benefit your health.

Vitamin C is an antioxidant. It helps your protect your body from daily life in our toxic world. Also, Vitamin C helps produce collagen. That is the "glue" that holds our body together. It's very important for maintaining the strength and flexibility of our blood vessels. When they are healthy, our hearts are healthy. There have also been great strides in cancer treatment using vitamin C. You can read a little about that here.

Vitamin C is not stored by the body. If you take a ton at once, that which your body doesn't use will just get flushed away. I take 2,000 mg each day: 1,000 in the morning, 1,000 in the evening. (Yes, I have one of those cute little pill caddies that helps me keep my morning pills separate from my evening pills. No, I'm not on Social Security - yet.)

If you are an elderly man and want to avoid bone loss, check here.

If you are pregnant, and want to know how much C you should take for your unborn child, check here.

If you just know you need to get some C, check here or here.

No comments: