Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesdays' Tip - Aluminum Free Baking Powder

This post originally published April 1, 2008. No fooling!

*********

The tip for today: aluminum-free baking powder.

In trying to live a less toxic life, I found that there were lots of bad and unnecessary things in normal things that I use around the house. One of those things is aluminum in my baking powder.

We want to reduce the amount of heavy metals in our lives. There is some argument about their effects on our bodies, but most people agree that they aren't good. Some studies show that Alzheimer's patients frequently have high levels of aluminum in their brains. There is no requirement for aluminum in the diet, so I know I don't want it in there.

There are several sources for aluminum-free baking powder. I just use Rumford brand because it is at the grocery store and easily accessible. Bob's Red Mill is also in most stores.

FYI: I also avoid aluminum cookware whenever possible. Aluminum can leach into your food from the pans. And you might want to check your antacid. Many of those have aluminum in them, too.

Live healthy!

2 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I do not know that there is aluminium in baking powder. Thanks for letting us know!

Michelle Potter said...

Something just occurred to me, Julie. You should post your tips on Wednesdays instead of Tuesday, and submit your link to Works For Me Wednesday (http://www.wearethatfamily.com/search/label/WFMW). Then lots more people would get to read them! :)