Saturday, June 23, 2007

Lesson One

Today our animal husbandry skills were put to the test. They were found lacking.

Yesterday Pooh was acting funny, but I thought she just might be trying to lay an egg. She wouldn't stand up for more than a few seconds when I let them out for the day. She also had really funny poop, but I'm stupid and didn't realize it was a warning sign.

When I went to check on her this morning, she was in the same condition. I called the feed store and told them what was going on. They said it was coccidiosis. It is a parasitic disease of the intestinal tract. I went and got the appropriate medicine for her. Have you ever tried to medicate a chicken? It was interesting, but we got the job done.

Unfortunately, when we got home after being gone all day we found her dead. I hate to think that if I had clued in to her symptoms earlier that we could have cured her, but that may be the case. The kids are taking it pretty well. I hope Muffin will be OK. We are giving her the medicine in her water just in case she has the same thing. The feed store folk said that because it has been so ridiculously wet that this sort of thing should be expected. Good breeding ground and all that.


Rest easy, Pooh. Thanks for the eggs and we will miss you.

2 comments:

Michelle at usr-bin-mom.com said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Don't beat yourself up, hon. It takes time to learn all the ins and outs.

Anonymous said...

Awww....I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :( I was wondering if the wet weather would have any detrimental effect on your little chickies. We're practically floating these days. Poor things - they've been living in a swamp. I hope the medicine helps the other one.

Love all your new posts. I haven't kept up, but am bookmarking your blog so I check it more frequently.

I think I managed to comment! You can let me know....