Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesdays' Tip - D3

Previously posted (mostly) October, 2008

I take a boat load of supplements. I started taking most of them because of my Meniere's Disease. I ran across this vitamin protocol a couple of years ago. It has really helped me control my vertigo. It's a lot of pills to take, but it beats vomiting on the floor of a grocery store trying to explain to people that it's my ear, not a head injury that is causing my bizarre behavior.

I take others either because my doctor recommended them or because I am old, had my kids late, and want to avoid falling apart before they graduate college. I thought I would spend a few Tuesday's telling you what I take and why. So without further ado....

Today's tip: Vitamin D3

My doctor is a big fan of D3. In fact, he said he personally takes 2000 IU of D3 a day. That's a little more than I do, but after his recommendation I may increase.

Vitamin D3 does all sorts of good for you. Technically, it's not even a vitamin because the body can produce it. It's what your body produces when it is exposed to sunlight. It's the Sunshine Vitamin! It is a hormone that helps your body metabolize calcium and phosphorus. It is also good for your immune system, your nervous system, your teeth and bones, your joints, and your heart. Some studies even conclude that it is a potent cancer fighter. Is there anything left?

Studies also show that most of us are deficient in vitamin D3. Regular exposure to sunlight will give us all we need, but most folks are scared to death of the sun. Fortunately, there are supplements available. Just make sure you get D3. Talk with your doctor about how much you should take.

You can read more about it here.

2 comments:

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Hi Julie,
I saw your comment on Y's blog about making chicken enchiladas.
I would like to know your recipe.
I love to cook and we never go out to eat b/c we think the quality of our food is so much better than a fast food or restaurant!! I also take a lot of supplements.
Nice to meet you, Fern

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

I had a vitamin D deficiency when we lived in Washington (state) but it seems to have cleared up since our move to Georgia. Excellent post on the subject!

Reply to your comment on my site:

Julie: You know, the more I find out about you — the more I respect and appreciate you. Many women would have resented sharing their home with a teenage niece or nephew and especially once they became pregnant with biological children. I am not at all surprised that you raised him as your own and that you encouraged your children to see him as a sibling. What an incredible and inspiring woman you are!
-Lacy