Saturday, July 26, 2008

Guess what I had for breakfast this morning.


Mmm. Yes, yesterday was fig day. I put up almost 3 gallons of fig preserves. When the figs start ripening, I pick those that are ripe each day. After washing them, I cut off the stems and maybe cut them in two if they are large. I then place them in a freezer bag in the freezer each day until I finish harvesting.

Thursday I took those bags out of the freezer and let them thaw on the counter for awhile. Then I put them in two bigs bowls and poured sugar over them. No, I didn't measure, but I'm guessing it was around four cups. I then put them in the refrigerator over night.

Friday morning I dumped the whole sugary mess in the stock pot and started cooking.

I squeezed a few lemons and added the juice to the pot. I don't use pectin. I don't know why. I just never had. It makes the preserves a little runny, but I've never had any complaints. They still taste good.

After they get going for awhile, foam rises to the top. I just skim that off.

I fill my sterilized jars and processed them and look what I got.


My little figgy army. Now I get to make my dad, my FIL, Aunt Sarah, and a few friends and neighbors very happy. There are actually more jars that that. They were still processing when I took the photo.

Figs are the only thing I have ever grown enough of to actually preserve. I'm quite proud of my little figs. Someday, when I have my orchard and big garden, I will have shelves full of jellies and chutneys. For now though, I am feeling quite content.

1 comment:

WendyDarling said...

Those preserves look wonderful!! It's been a long time since I had homemade fig preserves. :-)